The Brookhaven School District Parent Center
The purpose of the Brookhaven School District Parent Center is to serve the parents/guardians of our Title I schools as they support their children’s academic growth and success. The center provides academic resources for parents/guardians with children in kindergarten through 8th grade.
Materials are available for check-out FREE of charge to be used at home. Additionally, computers are available to parents/guardians for use on-site.
All K-8 parents are encouraged to utilize these FREE resources in order to assist their students with their education.
Parent Center Weekly Operating Schedule:
- 9:00 a.m. until 12:00 p.m. - Computer and resource center is open
- 1:00 p.m. until 3:00 p.m. - Parenting workshop
- 9:00 a.m. until 12:00 p.m. - Basic computer skills workshop
- 1:00 p.m. until 3:00 p.m. - Computer and resource center is open
Workshop Topics by Month
- January: Helping Your Child with Reading Mastery
- February: Helping Your Child with Reading Mastery
- March: Response to Intervention – Ensuring Academic Success for Your Child
- April: Understanding Common Core state Standards for Your Child’s Academic Success
- May: Maintaining Your Child’s Learning Over Summer Vacation
Helping Your Child with Reading Mastery – This workshop is designed for K-2 parents whose students are a part of the reading Mastery program. It will focus on tips and ideas for providing at-home support for the reading skills taught at school.
Response to Intervention – Ensuring Academic Success for Your Child – This workshop explains the Response to Intervention (RtI) process and its use as a prevention strategy for student growth and learning.
Understanding Common Core State Standards for Your Child’s Academic Success – This workshop defines the standards and outlines their advantages in a clear, easy-to-understand format. It encourages parents to learn more about the standards and their implementation in our state.
Maintaining Your Child’s Learning Over Summer Vacation – This workshop is designed to provide parents with tips and ideas for affordable activities that make learning fun all summer long!
Basic Computer Skills for Beginners - This workshop will focus on learning the basics of operating a computer. Some of the skills covered will be basic operation of controls, setting up email accounts, using word processing software, printing a document, and navigating through the internet.
The Parent Center is located inside Mamie Martin Elementary near the school's library. For more information or to sign up for a workshop, please contact Markeyta Dillon at (601) 823-3790.